George J. Keppelar- Modern American Drinks (How to mix and serve all kinds of drinks and cups) – 1895
- “Old Fashioned Whiskey Cocktail
- Dissolve a small lump of sugar with a little water in a whiskey-glass;
- add two dashes Angostura bitters,
- a small piece of ice, a piece of lemon-peel,
- one jigger whiskey.
- Mix with small bar-spoon and serve, leaving spoon in glass.”
It has taken a whole new shape today, with the orange and cherry ever-present.
But this is the recipe. Memorize it.
Videos from the montage:
Employees Only (Say it ain’t so!)
Mahalo.com (The true train wreck of Old-Fashioned videos, and cocktail videos in general)